Travel by Beer
Travel by Wine, chocolate, and now beer. I LOVE craft and artisanal beers, such a fun way to discover local flavors and unique tastes. Below is a list of my favorite places. Locations are very skewed towards where I have lived or frequently travelled. And, it’s fair to say that Colorado will maintain it’s status as king of the microbrewery for a long time to come – the favorites I mention are only a few of about 300 in the state.
- Brouwerij de Prael (Amsterdam): Yummy scotch ale and honey IPA
- Brouwerij ‘t IJ (Amsterdam): Another local hot spot, Zwatte is fantastic.
- Van Moll (Eindhoven): A dreary town, a great brewery.
- Le Trappiste (Bruges): While not a brewery, they have the most impressive selection of rare and interesting Belgium beers.
- On Tap (Buenos Aires): A great collection of Belgium-style ales, American-style IPAs, stouts, wheat beers, scotch ales, saisons, and barley wine.
- Bierlife (Buenos Aires): A vast collection of house-made brews, with my favorite style – Belgium Dubbels and Tripels. They even had sours, so they are really on the cutting edge.
- Antares (Buenos Aires): The best beer in the city in my opinion. Yummy stouts, IPA’s, wheat beers, and the classic selection of greasy appies which go with beer.
- Mikkeller (Copenhagen): We fell in love with both the original Mikeller brewery, a little cellar-like shop, and the vast BBQ-cum-Beer joint, Warpigs, in the Meatpacking area. Get your beer with a side of pulled pork, BBQ chicken, or ribs, complete with American-style sides and BBQ sauces. A great collection of sours on offer.
- Kaapse Brewers (Rotterdam): Housed in the gigantic Fenix Food Factory, you can get a sampler paddle and bottles to go.
- Taproom Jungbusch (Mannheim): Really friendly and knowledgable staff, and great beers.
- Mountain Toad (Golden, CO): Delicious selection of house-made brews, and a rotating food truck outside.
- Golden City Brewery (Golden, CO): The second largest brewery in Golden, only after the famous Coors Brewery. Perfect place to be on a sunny summer day.
- Great Divide (Denver, CO): Check out the free Brewery tour and $1 samplers any day of the week.